The XCAM requires power-saving features on the XCAM Tablet to be switched off as this may affect its ability to deliver imagery and GPS data at the fastest rate possible. This article describes the checks that should be made before a flight.
If you're experiencing the following symptoms with your XCAM then it's possible this is the cause:
- GPS data not being delivered to the Tablet correctly. Can manifest itself in the form of the GPS track following a straight line instead of your actual path.
- XCAM is not storing images at all, or at the normal rate.
To check that USB power saving settings are switched off on your XCAM Tablet:
- Ensure your Tablet is fully charged
- Switch the device on using the button on the top-left
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and choose Device Manager
- Scroll down to 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'
- Expand the group
- Right click on the first entry and click Properties
- Select the Power Management tab (if present)
- Untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
- Click Ok
- Repeat this for all other USB controllers listed under the group.
- Exit Device Manager.
Hints and Tips
- It's good practice to check these settings before every survey.
- Windows has a habit of overriding these options and switching the device saving back on, particularly if the Tablet is low on power.
- Ensure your Tablet doesn't drop below 15% battery otherwise there's a high chance Windows will switch them back on.
- Check the settings after your Tablet has performed Windows Updates. Again, it's likely the updates will turn the settings back on.
- Plugging the USB in multiple times can fool the Tablet into thinking it needs to turn the settings on.