To produce a flight plan with the WaldoAir Flight Planning Software (FPS) you first need to save an Area of Interest (AOI) in a KML file.
- Install Google Earth Pro (https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html)
- Load Google Earth Pro and navigate to your desired AOI
- Open the 'Add Polygon' tool
- Rename the Polygon from 'Untitled Polygon' to your AOI name. e.g. 'Basingstoke'. (HINT: Use short descriptive names and avoid using special characters as this will show up in the Flight Control System)
- Draw the AOI by clicking on the map. (HINT: Use the least number of points as possible to cover your area
- Click OK
- Right Click on the new Polygon in the 'My Places' window on the left of the screen and choose 'Save Place As'.
- Choose a location for your new file and select KML as the format type.
- Click Save
You will now have a Polygon saved in a KML that you can use in the WaldoAir FPS.
Things that might catch you out:
- Don't convert other GIS formats such as SHP to KML because the format will be incorrect and the Planner won't work.
- Be sure to save as a KML, not a KMZ.
- Don't use special characters in the polygon name. It may cause issues with the FPS.